I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or LCSW, which is a psychotherapy license in the state of California. (License No. LCS 21604.) I have been licensed since 2003, and have worked in the helping professions since 1988. I am practicing in Long Beach, CA.
I am bilingual in English and Spanish.
The primary focus of my therapy practice is the treatment of trauma and its aftereffects. Along with Somatic Experiencing, I incorporate aspects of other therapeutic modalities, including humanistic, behavioral and psychodynamic approaches.
I also serve as an Assistant for the Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute. I organize and help teach SE to clinicians at SE trainings in Los Angeles, Orange County, and internationally.
- Bachelors in Psychology, University of CA, Los Angeles (1992).
- Substance Abuse Counseling and Studies, UCLA Extension (1994).
- Masters in Social Work from California State University, Long Beach (2000).
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) (2003).
- Post-Inductive Therapy, Pia Mellody, The Meadows Treatment Center (2005).
- Somatic Experiencing Practitioner (SEP) certification, Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute (2011).
- Touch Skills Training for Therapists, Kathy Kain, SEP (2015).
- Taught independent living skills to persons with developmental disabilities, in their homes and in the community.
- Administrated, taught and counseled at substance abuse programs for persons convicted of DUI.
- Provided case management and advocacy for adolescents with developmental disabilities.
- Provided social work and counseling services to persons with mental illness in a locked inpatient setting.
- Assessed senior citizens for general well-being and provided support and referrals as needed.
- Conducted individual and group counseling for senior citizens identified with depression or other mental health issues.
- Provided play therapy for children and welfare-to-work therapy for adults at a county mental health agency.
- Built and operated a private practice since 2006.
- Conducted seminar and clinical class for Masters level social work interns; and liasoned between the university and fieldwork agencies.
- Coordinate and organize all aspects of 50+ person trainings; also assist faculty in teaching these trainings (with Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute). Began to assist internationally in February of 2013 (Australia).
I am a member of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT); and the United States Association for Body Psychotherapy (USABP).
I was born and raised in Southern California, and I love it here! I grew up here in the 1970’s, and back then I could usually be found riding my bike, a horse or a pair of roller skates. I have been an animal lover for all of my life, and preserving nature and all of its creatures (including us humans!) is vitally important to me. Today, I am involved in helping restore ecosystems in the urban environment via the planting of California native plants, which support butterflies, bees, birds, and many other native creatures.
I have also greatly enjoyed my world travels. I’ve visited many other countries, including Mexico, Tahiti, Morocco, Kenya, Australia, United Kingdom, Iceland, and several other European countries. I love inline speed skating, bicycle riding, California native plants, house music, the company of friends, and (of course) a good cup of coffee.